Saturday, April 23, 2011

Consults

I did not want to participate in any doctor consults, I didn’t want to, plus I just didn’t want to hear what I knew they were going to say, so I left that to Dennis’s family.  The trauma waiting room was still hopping.  We had a credit union robber who was shot 5 times, the Daniels and Conway lawyer who shot his wife three times and then himself, and of course this was the time Brad Henry of channel 9 had a heart attack and died.   I couldn’t eat and I sure didn’t want to think about what was going to happen in the future.  My future as I knew it was over and my heart was breaking for my husband.  Then of course, we had “THE” consult.  We had to do it in Dennis’s room because they wanted him to hear everything that was being said.  We didn’t find out till a long time later Dennis was in a world of hallucinations and didn’t know what was going on anyway.  I asked Max and Mike to be in there with the family and of course, they told us this was permanent and he would never walk or possibly breathe on his own again.  Our doctor was so young we called him Doogie Houser and I remember thinking, it must really suck to have to learn your skill this way.  The whole time he was delivering the bad news I was right up in Dennis’s ear whispering Psalms 112:7, “He will not be afraid of evil tidings; his heart is steadfast trusting in the Lord.”  The doctor looked at me like I was crazy and I probably was at that point in time, but I didn’t want Dennis’s spirit to hear any negative statements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment