Tuesday, April 26, 2011

psychosis

We continued to have many visitors, although they rarely got to see Dennis and I felt like I wasn’t much company, but I think it makes people feel better just to be there. I still couldn’t eat, I didn’t really even think about it.  My friends would take me out to dinner and it would take so long I would almost have a panic attack.  I got to know OU Medical Center very well and didn’t leave much. I would go out to the pond and read on some slow days, (until the sprinklers came on).  I would walk around the gift shop just to try and get my mind on something besides what Dennis and I were facing.  I would go to my cousins in the morning between 7:00 and 8:00, during shift change because you couldn’t go into the ICU trauma wing.  At her house I would take a shower and relax a minute then go back.  Dennis got what is called ICU psychosis, where they mix days and nights up.  He wasn’t sleeping and he was talking crazy from all the drugs.  I think that was my loneliest time, when he wasn’t talking coherently and I was alone.  He had to have surgery where they fused the C 1 and C2 vertebrae.  They told us that Dennis had a small spinal column, which was hereditary or it may not have been as bad as it was.  But he came through the surgery OK and that was a blessing.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading your posts each time you post another part of your journey. I can't imagine what you must have went through. Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete