Saturday, June 11, 2011

Settling In



We settled in and we were working the kinks out.  We had met with Dr. Klinger who we had never met and we all got our flu shots.  It is very important for caregiver and patients to have their flu shots.  We met Donna Almack who was our home health nurse and we settled in to a routine.  Larry and Jan came over every day and got Dennis up.  My mom was the cook. ( Stories later because mom only cooks with lots of grease and 2 temperatures, off and high.)  Our church family and a lot of other friends brought over food every night.  I don’t think we had to cook for a month.  I got busy working on our poor yard and loving on my poor dogs, Zeke and Kirby.  Kirby had gone blind while we were gone and Zeke was a very anxious dog now.   I was very anxious about how Dennis was going to fill his days and how bored he was going to get.  Would he dwell on these things and sink into depression?  My first night I walked into the kitchen about dusk and I looked in the back and I could see the trees and the street in the park.  I wanted so badly to see Dennis’s blue and silver pickup coming around those curves in time for supper like I had for years.  I sat in the middle of my kitchen floor and cried and grieved until my mom came in and said ok we are taking one day at a time.  It’s ok to grieve but let’s put one foot in front of the other and get through this. Then we cussed motorcycles for awhile and I felt better.  


No comments:

Post a Comment