Monday, October 10, 2011

Sleep it's highly overrated!



I keep trying to keep my blog true to what I started which is care giving, but I find myself wanting to blog about things that I am having fun with right now.  I’m taking a camera course and I’m also doing some D-I-Y projects.  But, I want to stay on course so I might do both!  I was thinking about what care givers would want to hear and then I thought of sleep or the lack of.  When Dennis was at OU for the first 30 days my daughter and I slept on two chairs with an end table in the middle and we had our purse by our head because they told us people off of the street would sneak in the hospital and steal money.  Then we graduated to roll up thick pads we found at target, heaven!  Then when Dennis was transferred to Select Hospital I had a roll out chair that made into a bed.  This is where the lack of sleep starts.  We can’t leave Dennis alone at night because if something goes wrong with the ventilator he can’t push the button or yell.  So, the 40 days at Select were drug induced and he had his days and night mixed up and he was hot and then he was cold and so on.  Now, before Dennis’s accident I was a 9 hour a night girl.  I like my sleep and I don’t like to be woken.  Now, however, this was a whole new ballgame.  When we got to TIRR I thought, OK this is a big time rehab center, I will go to the hotel and sleep because they handle this kind of thing all the time.  The first night I stayed there and his hose on the vent came off and the alarm sounded and no one heard it.  I had no idea what to do so I called the nurse.  Needless to say I did not start sleeping in the hotel. When we got home I had to go back to work and I couldn’t help but wonder how I was going to manage.  Then I realized that you just manage.  God gives you the strength to do whatever you need to do.  With an SCI patient you have the sound of the vent and the alarms.  When Dennis has to have oxygen you have that machine noise and then you are up giving them pills, you are up covering them up because they are cold.  Then they are hot so you are taking covers off.  Then they can’t sleep or they have a headache or the list goes on and on. Their bodies do not regulate like ours does.   Now I still get a little testy in the wee hours of the morning, but Dennis knows I wouldn’t change a thing and I know that he would be there doing the same for me.  I now know you don’t need 9 hours of sleep that sometimes you can get by with 5 or 6.  God will provide what you need, when you need it. 

1 comment:

  1. Quite a testimony.
    Our hospitals are locked at night these days except for emergency entrance.
    Cherri I am sure it must be helpful to you to have times of blogging about fun. I'm sure you need the balance.

    ReplyDelete