Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pressure sores!


Not For the Faint of heart!

I have to remind myself that I started this blog as a caregiver blog.  I have a lot of hits from all over the world so I hope someone is reading this blog that is a caregiver also.  I like to blog about fun stuff and when I blog about caregiving I feel like it’s such a downer.  But, it is a part of life and “so goes”.  (Inside joke to my friend Debbie)  My husband Dennis has had a rough summer as everyone knows who reads this blog.  Things are on the uphill swing but a lot of his problems started with an ulcer and some pressure sores.  If you are a caregiver you will have either already dealt with pressure sores or you will at some point deal with them.  They are nasty, wicked things that by the time you know you have them it’s too late.

This is the definition of a pressure sore also called bed sores.

Bedsores — also called pressure sores or pressure ulcers — are injuries to skin and underlying tissues that result from prolonged pressure on the skin. Bedsores most often develop on skin that covers bony areas of the body, such as the heel, ankles, hips or buttocks.

People most at risk of bedsores are those with a medical condition that limits their ability to change positions, requires them to use a wheelchair or confines them to a bed for prolonged periods.

Bedsores can develop quickly and are often difficult to treat. Several care strategies can help prevent some bedsores and promote heal

By the time you notice a bruise the size of a pin prick, underneath the skin it has coned out in to a large area.  You get these pressure sores at the area your skin has the most pressure.  Backside, ankles, elbows, etc.  Dennis had one on the pad of his foot for 2 years before it finally healed.  When he got sick this summer he lost a lot of weight so he got a pressure sore on both of his elbows, his backside, and his heel.  This along with his ulcer is what caused his health to slowly go downhill and his breathing to get worse.  The more he lost weight the harder it was for him to breath.  He got down to 128 but now he is up to 136 and climbing.  Breathing better and his pressure sores are healing up.  This has been a long and very emotional roller coaster for us and we could not have made it without God and His mercy that is new every morning.  There were times I thought Dennis would die and only God lead us through that valley.  I can’t imagine people who do not have the Lord in their life and how they get by day to day.  We praise the Lord for our renewed health and strength and thank Him for continuing to see us through this journey. 

Photos of pressure sores!

 







 

1 comment:

  1. I never realised that they could be that bad. here's me thinking I get pressure sores on my elbows when all they do is blister and pain if I put pressure on them. All I have to do to heal them up is lots of cream and remember to not lean on them.

    ReplyDelete