Monday, January 16, 2012

Cutting corners


Being a caregiver and also having a job gets a bit daunting at times.  I have the greatest support system since we built on to my garage so my mom and dad could move in.  My mom is here during the day and Dennis’s dad comes over to help.  This allows me to keep my job and the income that we need.  I wrote a couple of posts ago about the financial tasks we meet.  There are a lot of out of pocket expenses so I decided I was going to cut some corners.  I took to the website Pinterest and started my new projects.  So if you are caregivers and you need to cut some corners or if just want to cut corners, here are some tips.  The first project I did was making my own laundry soap.  Here is what you need:


1 box Borax ( on the detergent isle)
1 4 lb. box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg) found in the cooking isle
1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz. (3 lb. 7 oz.) found in the detergent isle

3 bars of Fels-naptha soap, found in the detergent isle

2 small containers of oxyclean or store brand oxyclean (try to get about 3.5 lbs. total (1.58 kg)) found in the detergent isle.



You have to grate the soap and mix all together.
This takes about $20.00 to make and I made mine the end of Sept and I am still using it.  I put mine in a glass container by the washing machine.  It only takes 1 Tbls per load.  Now, it’s not going to suds up like we are used to but it does the job.   I love it and it saves so much money. 


The next item is the fabric softener.  All you need is 6 cups of water, 3 cups of white vinegar and 2 cups of hair conditioner of any kind.  I mix mine up and put them in mason jars.  1 Tbls per load.  It will smell a little like vinegar but it doesn’t smell on the clothes.  It last a long time also.



These are tried and true by me and they have worked for my family and I hope if you are looking to save some money it will work for you. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much Cheri, I will def give this a try - It seems a lot safer for our skin and environment and much much cheaper alternative.

    ReplyDelete