Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sentimental

I am not very sentimental about a lot of things.  My daughter on the other hand is sentimental about everything.  When she was a toddler we sold our first couch to some college boys and when they came to pick it up she cried and cried.  When we sold our first house and moved to a bigger and better house she also cried.  She would go visit her old house and Lena would let her in and let her look around.  There is one thing I am very sentimental about, and that is the house I grew up in.  It was an old farmhouse and there were eight of us when my mom and dad married and the two families combined.  It was cold in the winter and hot in the summer.  The upstairs had no heat so we all had electric blankets and ran upstairs and jumped in bed at night.  In the morning we grabbed our clothes and ran downstairs to get dressed by the propane heater.  We had one bathroom and there was absolutely no privacy, there wasn't time when we are all trying to get ready for school.   It was a huge deal when daddy finally bought some window unit air conditioners to put in the 3 bedrooms upstairs.  No more box fans and open windows!  We sometimes would even sleep outside if it was really hot.  My sister and I shared a bedroom and on her side were Davy Jones posters and on my side were Paul McCartney posters.    My 4 brothers had bunk beds and a full sized bed in one tiny bedroom and then my mom and dads room. We had a dairy on the south end and we raised pigs on the north side.  We had some sheep and we raised some chickens and we always had friends out on every weekend.  I asked mom why she let all of us bring kids home and she said what's a few more!  Our friends would always run either through the washing machine backwater or the sewer because we had well water and everything was open.  We would take the hay bales in the barn and build forts, we would sit in the bucket of the tractor and drive to the pond or creek!  I don't know how we all survived but we did.  Here are some pictures of what used to be.  That is the old red barn in the background that leaned and if we were caught playing in there we were in trouble.  Of course we did, but we never got caught.  That is me in high school ( 30 some years ago) with my heifer, Cassy.  I was walking her so she would get use to me showing her at the stock show. 
I have shown this photo before of my mom and dad in front of the house.  My bedroom is in the front and upstairs.  If you look real close there is a bird nest between the glass  of the window panes.
This is what the home place looked like a few years ago when Dennis and I stopped in.  I went to see if the door was locked and it wasn't so I walked around and it made my heart hurt.
Most of the barns had fallen down but the house and dairy were still there.  This is what it looked like a few months ago.  This is where are dairy was and there was a long row of trees and a path where the cows would come down to be milked twice a day.
 They have leveled all the pecan trees and the old barns and the siding is coming off the house.



All the trees and corrals and the barns are gone except for a little bit of tin.  There were so many trees there it was always shaded no matter where you walked.  Yes, I cried, there were a lot of really great memories and fun times there.  I wish someone had told me that these were some of the best days of our lives and to enjoy them.  We probably would have laughed. .....

7 comments:

  1. It seems very wrong that so many trees have gone. It sounds like you had the best time growing up. Let's hope the new people create many happy memories there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey, they are tearing down the house to make farm land! But the house is old and I knew it wouldn't stand forever, it's just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post...Reminds me of the Waltons, and yes we never realize how good we had it sometimes until later in life. Good thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. :(
    they were very good times and the older we get the better they get. It was a very simple time and that is what made it so special. we definately didn't know any better.
    GOOD TIMES
    thanks for posting the pictures. I need to save them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post Cheri, I remember you telling about the childhood farmhouse when I asked about before, and yes it is sad, very sad actually that it will be demolished. Wonderful that there's so many happy memories. I'm sorry your heart hurt. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: love the pretty country background to your template. Its lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This must have been very hard for you Cheri.
    Enjoyed your memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete