Friday, April 20, 2012

My backyard


The summer that my husband Dennis had his motorcycle wreck was an unusally hot summer.  While we were sitting in the hospital it was over the 100's almost every day.  When we finally went to Houston for rehab in August, it was in the 100 + teens.  So with people going in and out working on our house remodel and ADA upgrade, my yard got very little attention.  There were some who tried to help it, but it was just so hot that it was almost a lost cause .  We were very thankful for the ones who did try and keep it going, (we know who you are and you have our sincere thanks).  So now I want our backyard to by a haven for Dennis to go out and enjoy when the weather is nice. With SCI patients you can only tolerate about 75 degrees cold and not very hot.  They can not sweat below their injury level so your body can not take the heat.  Dennis's injury is very high so he can't take a lot of heat.   We used to go out in the courtyard at Houston and you could cut the humidity with a knife, it would almost take your breath away.  We would sit out there and feed the pigeons and be so homesick that we promised to never complain about home again.  On a good night we wouldn't hear gunshots (not kidding) or see the news helicopters circling above us(not kidding again), but we just wanted to go home.  We are not "city folk" and we longed for the easy laid back living of our little town.  So after about 6 years our back yard is finally getting back to normal.  It took a beating and it has taken awhile for it to come back. 


This week we had baby squirrels start to peek the heads and run around the squirrel house. We think there were 6 babies again. The momma took 4 of the babies across the high line and disappeared. She left 2 in the house and they are still there but she took them half way across the street and then came back. I don't want them to leave!!  This is the momma.

These are the last two babies
This is the momma and baby
She is making sure my dogs keep their distance. 

10 comments:

  1. Very good backyard, to my opinion :) If I had a yard behind my house, I would make a flower garden and a playground for my kids there.

    The dog is so funny on the photo. What breed is that? :) I hope I'll have a dog one day, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely back yard! Those squirrels are the cutest things ever and I Love love that huge shade tree. The big questions are what is it?? does it lose its leaves in winter and in summer does it cast its lovely shade across the lawn during the hot part of the day? I love its bark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that clematis climbing up the fence. These are one of my favourite plants. The squirrel house is great. They look so sweet with their little faces poking out.
    Let's hope for a summer that is just right for Dennis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your squirrel house, I think that is the coolest thing and would watch it all the time, I love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, he is a schnauzer but we cut his hair like a regular dog and we didn't cut his ears. He is my big baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose, I'm not sure what kind of tree it is but it does lose all it's leaves in the winter. It is just now gotten big and full. My daughter used to have a play house up there and now it's the squirrels home. It is very fun to have a squirrel house, last year was the first year we had babies.
    Tracey, this is the second year for the clematis. I never had any luck growing it until I found the right spot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is looking good and I do hope you have temperatures that will be OK for Dennis.

    I have never seen a squirrel house before. I am sure they are fun for Dennis to watch.

    For us we try and keep the squirrels away as they eat up all the bird food and can become a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello once again Cheri and Dennis--got some time and I wanted to check in on your blog--LOVE your back yard and I can certainly relate to your feelings about life in the city..Your baby squirrels brought back memories..I once had one who was somehow orphaned..I kept him until he was able to take care of himself--more than once he'd amaze visitors by coming right up to me..Love your blog and stories and am sending a friend over to visit your site--Stay well-JIM

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very nice yard. I hate really hot weather, 90 degrees is my limit. We might see that at our house once in a typical summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The squirrels are sooooo cute! They must feel secure and peace in your backyard :)

    ReplyDelete