Thursday, June 21, 2012

Aline, Ok...my hometown

This is Main street of the town I grew up in and loved with all my heart. When I moved there the population was 312 and it has gone down since then.  I came from the "big city" to country life when my mom and my dad met at a dance out here while she was visiting relatives, and he swept her off her feet.  He adopted my little brother and I, ages 4 and 10, and treated us like his own from that moment on.  I went from big city life to living on a dairy with 70 holsteins and raising Poland China and Duroc pigs.  If the wind was from the south you got the dairy smell and if the wind was from the north you got the pig smell .  It was the best thing that ever happened to my brother and I, and I know that God had a hand in shaping our lives.
This is the old hospital, it was out of commission when I moved there in 1969 but we used to think it was haunted and we would play there or hide.  Some people fixed it up now and again and used it for different things.
This is the Aline Community Theater, when I was in school it was the community center and it was where we showed our livestock and had dances and dinners.  Back in the day there was a theater there and we still had the seats to prove it!
This abandoned building was Goodno's drugstore and gorcery store.  They had the best fountain drinks ever!  We lived 3 miles from town so we would beg to walk to town or ride the cycles so we could get our cherry phosphates.  Everyone heard about everything at this store.  If i had got into some trouble (not that I EVER did) my mom would hear about it here.  I always wanted to be in town where everything was going on and all my friends always wanted to be on the farm with me.


I will continue with my tour because it is just to big a metropolis to get into one blog!

12 comments:

  1. Looks smaller than my tiny town! I think our population is about 1,000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheri, what a wonderful story from your childhood. Loved the town photos, so sad that many small country-towns are dying out. A poignant post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a wonderful place to grow up. Isn't it funny how empty buildings automatically become haunted. There is something so exciting about being scared by thoughts of ghosts when we are little.
    It is always sad to see businesses disappearing from these small towns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and I love the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please follow my blog & spread the word to your friends :) my blog bmh3artsbg10.blogspot.com! Here is our story: In Middle school I was shy kind of girl who was always scared to talk to boys & Billy was Mr. Popular, all the girls loved him. I was one of those girls, But i never thought in a million years i would ever have a chance with him. January 2005 Billy was shot in the face by his best friend at the time. The shooting end up with him being a quadriplegic. Billy is unable to feel his body feel the shoulders down. Billys accident made Billy & I grow closer together. On August 29th 2010 My world changed for the best. Billy & I started dating. This man is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. He is my rock & motivation. & this is Our life together

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love small towns like this...looking forward to the rest of the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in a small town also Cheri, in the middle of Africa. The best experience ever, so I can relate to how you felt about growing up in Aline. I had to laugh, the Theatre and Community Hall is way bigger than the hospital, how things change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice memories, yes I noticed too the hospital very small. It almost looks like a home. There were probably not many ill people at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home town looks like an old movie. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just managed to activate the feed burner to register with your blog Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just looking for photos of Aline and came across yours. I've seen a few before this. I live near Chicago. My best friend in the whole world lives in Aline. My name is Pete Marinaro

    ReplyDelete