Thursday, June 7, 2012

Caregiving 101--hard parts

One of the hardest parts about being a caregiver,  especially to an SCI patient, is that you are very limited in the time you can spend away from them.  This is the hardest part for me because Dennis and I were very independent before his accident.  Today I was missing my daughter big time so I called her and she is missing me also.  We decided to meet in Enid, Okla which is about half way for both of us.  Good plan right?  This is where being a caregiver gets tricky because only a caregiver can know and feel the way we do.  Guilt starts to trickle in because I am leaving Dennis with my mom and Dennis's dad all day.  They have him everyday while I am at work and now I am taking a play day to go see my daughter.  They sacrifice so much for Dennis and I and I don't know what I would do without them. Then, there is the reasoning side that says you are a mom and you need time to spend with your daughter and to go do something with her.  Then, when you are there doing something with her you  are looking at your clock wondering if everything is OK, should I hurry, should I call, etc, etc. It is seriously a no win situation.  I just have to let God give me peace and calm my heart. 
                                                             Love her!

9 comments:

  1. Its awfully difficult but inspiring that you are able to nurture Whitney too. You are obviously so close and need each other. Perhaps these wonderful get-togethers when you are missing each other so much will also help to strengthen you both.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand being pulled in both directions, but I do understand missing your girl. Just remember she needs Mom and Mom needs her. It is a special relationship and needs to be nurtured. I know it is easy for me to say, but try not to feel guilty when you go, just enjoy her =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney definitely needs you too, as you need her. You know you are leaving Dennis with the best people, and I bet they are only too pleased for you to see your daughter. We all need play days every once in a while, so you enjoy it, and don't feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Cheri, you and your daughter look so much alike, gorgeous the both of you. Enjoy your special tome with her, I'm 100% sure Dennis would want you to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For all those who read this blog, she has a WONDERFUL husband who completely understands the need for mother-daughter time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did get to spend the day with whit and we had a great time. Thanks for all the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see you had a wonderful time with your daughter and I am sure your husband wants you to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, I want to thank you for reading my blog and your encouraging comments.

    I understand the hard times that come with SCI! Funny, because that is what I'm about to blog about. It is nice to know that we are not alone!

    ReplyDelete