Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pont du Gard

I'm sharing this with www.vintageweeklymeme.blogspot.com  It's a blog that puts photos on before the digital age!  You can put them on every Sunday and share your old photos.
This is my friend Cathy, Rockel, Meagan and my daughter Whitney at the Pont du Gard in southern France.  here is the description fro wikipedia:
The Pont du Gard is a notable ancient Roman aqueduct bridge that crosses the Gard River in southern France.   It is part of a 50 km (31 mi) long aqueduct that runs between Uzès and Nîmes in the South of France. The aqueduct was constructed by the Romans in the 1st century AD .  The bridge has three tiers of arches, standing 48.8 m (160 ft) high, and formerly carried an estimated 200 million liters (44 million gallons) of water a day to the fountains, baths and homes of the citizens of Nîmes.
 Pont du Gard Oct 2007.jpg

I didn't take this picture but I wanted you to see how enormous it actually is.  Happy vintage Sunday!

9 comments:

  1. That is a very impressive structure. The blog you mentioned sounds interesting, I will go and have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have been able to visit this grand place! We didn't make it that far south when we visited Frances all those years ago!

    I followed your link from Vintage Weekly! I love this meme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shots, Cheri. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vintage weekly - wonderful idea Cheri! I'll pay a visit. And yours are great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful bridge and it looks huge in the second picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were on the second level when I took that picture, you have to walk down to the first. It was astounding to see how big this thing is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its a great place I visited too...
    Enjoy your day !
    Best regards from France,

    Pierre

    ReplyDelete