Tuesday, June 19, 2012

To go or not to go...





This year Dennis feels a lot better than he did last year so he is wanting to go to Grand Lake on our usual vacation.  I am torn.  He was so sick last year and it was a nightmare and just plain sad.  I had kind of said my good- byes to the place we have grown to love, so I was just getting to be OK with not going when he annouced that he wanted to go.  In my heart I want to go also but I don't want it to be like last year.  I have a feeling this will probably be the last time we go to the particular resort we stay at, so we kind of want to go, but I don't want it to be like last year.  (Am I getting the point across?)  We have discussed and thought out and rediscussed.  It is always a little sad because the memories we made at that resort will never be the same.  Our kids are grown, Dennis can't jump on that jet ski and go up the river, I can't go shopping whenever I want to.  We have to watch Dennis and make sure he doesn't over heat and that he stays hydrated.    We have to pack so much stuff and machines and meds.  I always feel so bad if people try and help because it's their vacation also and I don't want to be a burden.  And it doesn't matter how much they tell me we aren't a burden the feeling doesn't change.  We seriously have the best friends in the world and would do anything for us, so knowing they are there makes this a little easier.  Do we not get out and try to do something because Dennis is in a wheelchair?  I know it's hard but should we do it now while we still can?  To him the scenery is way better there at the lake than it is here at home.  It's a hard decision and I have been looking online for places that are easier for wheelchair patients.  All I know is last year my friend Debbie and I spent most of our time crying and that was not good for either one of us.  So "To go or not to go"?  My heart says yes, but my head says something else.  Maybe we should turn this over to the One who knows best  and quit worrying and fretting.  :) One day at a Time....


9 comments:

  1. You know how sometimes you look forward to going back to a place, and it isn't the same when you get there, well that would be a good thing in this instance. Don't be put off because last year was bad, it really doesn't follow that this year will be too. You also need to accept that your good friends are happy to help, they wouldn't go with you if they found you a burden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends are NEVER a burden....I agree with Tracey , just because last year was not so good doesn't mean this year will be, Dennis is doing better....that makes a big difference. Maybe a change in scenery will be good for both of you. Just go with a few days in mind and see what happens, you just might make some "new" memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will it be easier next year? Sometimes it's not what you do when you get there, it's just being there with all those good memories. If he really wants to do it maybe he knows best. (This from a guy in a wheel chair.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off - wonderful Father's Day post.

    I would side with Dennis and those that say 'go for it' but you ultimately have to decide. It sounds like it would be good spiritual (if not physical) therapy - just enjoying the scenery and letting those good memories wash over you. And letting friends be those angels on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Cheri, always remember that your wonderful friends who are happy to help also enjoy and adore yours and Dennis's company!!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a difficult choice, I hope it works out for you. It does look like a lovely place, I can understand why Dennis wants to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do what feels right in your heart. When you are a year down the road do you think that you will (1) wish that you had gone in spite of the difficulties; or (2) whish that you had not. If there are even 15 minutes of pure joy it will have been worth it. Your friends do not consider you two a burden... I would not.

    Blessings...
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Cheri this is a big decision, I tend to agree with above only because regret is such wasted emotion. It sounds like you have wonderful friends who get a great deal of pleasure in spending time with yourself and Dennis, this could be a wonderful experience this year, would be a shame to miss it.

    ReplyDelete