Sunday, June 24, 2012

Vintage Weekly Again!

It's Sunday and time for my Vintage Weekly Post!
Les Baux-de-Provence is a commune in the Bouches-du-Rhône department in southern France, in the province of Provence. It has a spectacular position in the Alpilles mountains, set atop a rocky outcrop crowned with a ruined castle overlooking the plains to the south.

This is the remains of the castle that sits on top of the hill at Les Baux. This is what Wikipedia says about the castle.

Standing on a spur of rock in the heart of the Alpilles, the castle in Les Baux-de-Provence covers an area of 7 hectares and is one of the most majestic locations in France. It is also a Historic Monument. From the castle, there is a breathtaking panoramic view of the Alpilles Valley and the entire region. Thanks to the audioguides available in 10 languages (F, GB, D, I, NL, E, J, R, C, P), visitors can listen to the chaotic, tumultuous history of the Lords of Les Baux and their mediaeval fortress, as they visit the keep, the Sarrazine and Paravelle Towers, the dovecote, the castle chapel and the Chapel of St. Blaise, the former Quiqueran Hospital etc.

This was what was left of the chapel.  Below is a huge catapult they used in battle. 




I loved everything about visiting this old medievel castle and village.

9 comments:

  1. How impressive it must have been. The ruins still look quite noble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that first shot - the castle looks like it's growing out of the rock. What a fascinating place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the first shot and had to take a double look at it, it does look like the rock until I looked closer. I would have loved to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice piece of history - that castle reminds me of fortresses we saw on Rhodes (Gr). Pretty brutal times then too, judging by that catapult.

    Enjoyed your hometown post - I grew up in places like that, and now live near a village not much larger (we have a general store still).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shots, and nice shot of the swathe light at the bottom ( an ancient form of lighthouse ). Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful piece of history - I too am intrigued by the first shot. I would love to go explore there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first shot got me too Cheri, wonderful post - really interesting!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how nice it would be to see that panoramic view from the castle Cheri..I still cannot believe that they used huge catapults in battle, it just seems so bizarre and kind of 'juvenile'!!

    ReplyDelete