Thursday, August 2, 2012

6 years ago today

This is a repost of my journal entry of the day we left the Oklahoma City care (and I use that term lightly) facility and flew to Houston.  My husband was so drugged he thought he was in a cartoon and I had to board a very small medi-vac plane with him, two nurses and one pilot.  They had to kept him breathing by using an ambu bag because the vent has issues above so many feet.  I was scared, lonely, and I had never been to Houston before in my life.  This was 6 years ago today and we have come a long way since the journal entry.  This was now our new home for 60 days of rehab and I am so thankful that God paved the way for us to get there.  They saved my Dennis's life.
Here is my repost :
Day 88- Leaving Select! Yes, I will miss some people that were here, like the respiratory therapists and some of the nurses, but this place almost killed Dennis and I couldn’t wait to get out of here. I had to say goodbye to my daughter. I felt like we had abandoned her for these last months and now we were going to be so far away. My mom had said goodbye the night before, she couldn’t bear to watch us leave. We were now going someplace that we wouldn’t have visitors popping in on us anymore, we were alone. The thought of living in Houston petrified me, but you dig deep and knowing that God was right beside me somehow helps you manage to plow through. The plane ride was scary, very scary. It was a 6 passenger plane with no co-pilot. But nothing was scarier than walking into T.I.R.R. in the medical district of Houston, Texas. We met Dr. Donovan the head of the spinal unit and then went to the room. It was too sterile and very old. I kept thinking that it needed a rug. I just wanted my mom and my dogs and I wanted my daughter. But most of all I wanted my husband, my soul mate, my best friend, to wake up and tell me everything was going to be OK. Unfortunately, you don’t always get what you want but, but somehow God gives you the strength to go on.

8 comments:

  1. Cheri I just found your blog...again I say you are my hero!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya, I couldn't have done any of this without God right there beside me.

      Delete
  2. Every time I read your words it takes me back and it is hard to hear how lonely you felt. I'm glad you moved him, it is obvious now God was in control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, when I went back to read that post it just takes me back also. It's amazing how far we've come.

      Delete
  3. What an incredible journey over the past 6 years. This post inspired me to go back through some of your earlier posts again. What an inspiration both you, and Dennis are for other folk out there who may be experiencing similar challenges. What an inspiration you are for people in general, in particular raw faith, and love.
    I still feel humble to be able to share in the continuing journey you are both on.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot begin to imagine what you were both going through. Your faith is truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be the scariest thing ever for me and I guess it was for you too. Amazing how God takes us through these horrendous situations and brings us out the other side. What an inspiration you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine going through this. Very scary experience.

    ReplyDelete