Thursday, August 23, 2012

M*A*S*H*




I was watching the TVLAND channel the other day while I was cleaning my living room and MASH came on. That opening song takes me right back to high school, on the farm and everyone huddled around the T.V. to watch MASH because we wouldn't miss it. It always gives my heart a little tug cause it reminds me of my daddy and he loved that show. It was a special time when we sat and watched our favorite shows.  There were no cell phones, no computers, game boys or play stations.  We all watch TV as a family and actually had to get up and change to one of the three channels we had to choose from.  We usually had two channels but we had three on a good night if one of the boys got on top of the house and turned the antenna just right.  I think that is partly what is wrong with families today, there is never time spent together without something else going on.  I have my DVR set to record The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Bob Newhart Show,  there is nothing more funny than these two old shows .









 Another theme that reminds me of my daddy is the Dallas theme.  He would plan his farming chores around this show!  The night they revealed who shot JR he was at one of our basketball games and he would go to a phone and call someone to see who shot him.  I love these memories and hold them in my heart, I wonder if our children will do the same?





11 comments:

  1. I love all those shows...I can even go with older ones. Kayla said in college she was the only kid in classes who not only knew all the old shows, but could name all the characters....her professor was amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the downside to all the wonderful technology we have, everyone seems to be off doing their own thing. We tend to watch films as a family now, but that is about all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheri-You're so very right-those old shows were great times for families to just sit and watch. I LOVED the Twilight Zone--Lost in Space--Raw Hide--Have Gun Will Travel--Ed Sullivan..Gun Smoke--Radar (from Mash of course) actually lived very close by and I have actually had dinner in a resturant with him sitting just a few tables over..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes! someone very very special to me just loved MASH and would faithfully tune in, even recorded every show on the old video tape. They are (I think) in a box somewhere. Speaking of DALLAS, here in OZ they just screened last night the new DALLAS and wow hasn't Larry Hagman aged! Oh well haven't we all. He's still as devilish as ever. Oh and Lost in Space, that Doctor Smith. Couldn't we have a fine time with this post. We have one designated chanel here that just re-runs all of the good old shows, many of which have had a mention in your post. It is one of the most popular chanels with older Australians. Great post Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose we just watched the finale of the new Dallas series and I can tell you the series is awesome!!

      Delete
  5. My mother was a huge Bob Newhart fan.
    Thanks for stopping by Driller's place, and you're right, my Skywatch photo is at Table Rock Lake, near Indian Point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So right, Cheri!! Those shows bring back a lot of memories when the boys would get home from school, fix a big plate of nachos and get a pop and watch Gilligan's Island and other good, clean shows until supper time, and, of course, I would have to sit down and watch with them. Fun days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not to familiar with current US-TV series, but MASH was my all-time favourite! And it is always being rerun on some channel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Takes me right back to a simpler time, simpler life but very happy. Thanks Cheri!

    ReplyDelete