Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Car Show 2012

Fairview had it's annual car show and as usual it was hot as hades!  I have mixed feelings about the car show.  One, it  was something I was never thrilled about, but my husband Dennis loved it and always had a good time at.  Two, my friend Cathy always enjoyed the car show time of year.  Well, since Dennis's accident it is usually to hot for him to go.  As a person with an SCI (spinal cord injury) you can't get to hot or very bad things happen!  And as I have told you in previous posts, my friend Cathy died a few years ago.  Also, Dennis and I spent some time in Houston at a rehab center and this is my repost from that time at TIRR .

Car Show 2006

They were having the car show in Fairview and that has always been one of Dennis’s favorite events. He would get our little Honda 50 and enter it in the burn out competition! As I was reading about it in the Fairview paper I wanted to cry out. Why is the earth still turning? Why are people still going on with their daily lives? Why isn’t everything and everybody as affected as we are? But of course, I knew the answer because life does go on and the world still turns and people continue their daily lives just as we had before the accident. I think when you go through something like this you become a whole lot more in tune to what other people are going through. As things were winding down at TIRR, Dennis and I had a long talk about how hard it was going to be for him to go home. We talked about seeing people for the first time and how they were going to react to him. We knew people would treat him differently and we were trying to prepare ourselves for what was to come. It was going to be hard not getting to go to work and having to watch me to go work every day. There were a lot of things to talk about and we both cried and cried, but the bottom line was I didn’t care how much of a hardship it was going to be as long as Dennis was still here with me. I couldn’t imagine my best friend not being at my side every day. 1 Peter 5:7 talks about casting your care and that was what we were going to do. We know it’s going to be hard but we have each other and God will direct our paths.

 
Here are some of this years car show photos!



More photos to come!  Much love, Cheri

7 comments:

  1. What awesome cars! I can't imagine how difficult that first time after the accident must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading that post not long after I found your Blog. It made me feel lots of things xx
    Is that yellow truck similar to the one you commented on at Time TRaveller's Blog? It's gorgeous anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lot of cars that were so beautifully painted. It was about 103 in the shade that day.

      Delete
  3. Reading this...I suspect you have made great strides in going on with your lives...as difficult as it may have been...good for you!

    Love seeing these old cars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you meant when you wondered, 'Why are people still going on with their daily lives?' I remember once, on hearing some devastating news, walking through a town wondering why all the people still looked so normal!
    The car show looks very impressive, but 103 in the shade, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire you and Dennis so much Cheri, after the initial shock and despair you have really managed to get your life back to a rich and wonderful daily experience, you're so lucky to be surrounded by wonderful family and friends and have such a strong faith, and the important thing is as you say, you still have your best friend here with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheri, I love cars and car shows too. I don't know why. Isn't it amazing that a photo can take the raw edge off of caregiving? Life captured in a joyful moment, made permanent by the camera? Thank you for visiting my blog, and I will return here often. Take care and good strength to both you and Dennis. This is almost our 7th year.

    ReplyDelete