Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The 60's

If you know me at all, you know I love everything about the 60's.  I was in grade school and junior high in the late 60's and high school in the early 70's.  Yes, I am old!  There was never a more exciting time and I relish all the memories.  I loved the fashion, the music, the shows, everything.  I think I own and have read every book on the 60's and have seen every documentary or show on the subject.  Here is my collection of books and mind you I have given some to the library. 

 
I am very glad to have been growing up in the late 60's and early 70's.  I loved my mini skirts with fish nets , high waisted, big leg jeans. I loved my maxi dresses and chokers and head bands and mocassins.  I loved that my girlfriend Rita and I would sit and listen to the radio and try to write down the words as fast as we could, to the lastest hits.  We only had 2 radio stations where I lived WKY in the day and KOMA at night.  We would save our dollar and go to TG & Y to get the latest 45, then stack them 10 high on our record player and play them all night!  This is my 6th grade class float.  Now  this is the 1st float we had ever done and we didn't quite have the hang of it!
This is an upper class's float, they had the hang of it.
This is my in my high waisted jeans and smock top!
Oh,to be that young again!

 I feel a little sorry for people who didn't get to go through that time frame, but I;m sure everyone says that about when they grew up.  My mom will swear there was never a better time than the 50's!
Much love, Cheri
 
 

13 comments:

  1. I agree, I agree - primary school in the 60's and high school in the 70's. They were great decades and oooh the clothes. I could relate to everything you wrote - ah they were the days....... :))
    Love this post, love these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brings back some hilarious memories, Cheri! Not just writing down the words to songs, but ALL of what you posted and your picutres, too! Makes me want to get out my albums and flip pages!

    I agree, it was a great time to be young. And it was great to *be* young. But I like being old and cranky, too. And I still like my high-wasted jeans. HA!HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, those sixties were magical. When I hear the music of that time or see a documentary I get the feeling instandly back. I have such nice memories of my childhood and my teens, those were so exciting times. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously I lived through the 60's but the time for me was the 50's. I am with your Mum! 60's for me was time at sea with my husband and getting a home together etc. before beginning a family in 68.Not conducive to Beatlemania. However Bill Haley and Rock Around the Clock, rock and roll and teddy boys was the thing. Fashion wise The New Look. Pencil skirt and jackets that went out into a frill at the waist.

    The downside of the 60's was that the Beatles were so embroiled in Eastern religion that they brought it back to the UK and their popularity popularised same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredible how much influence they had on culture.

      Delete
  5. Cool, cool, cool! I have wonderful memories of those years too! The landing on the moon! The rumors of UFOs, the close, the platform shoes, the bell pants, the maxi skirt! To which my dad had no objections!The magazine LIFE which does not exist any more! My dad loved it; he was a faithful LIFE magazine reader and collector. I remember their photographs were wonderland. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post Cheri I love to read about history and learn all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree Jana...I was far to young to remember the 60's, still playing with my Barbie during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was born in the '60s, and I'm actually glad I grew up a little later than that. The draft would have been a terrifying prospect. But your reminiscences are wonderful to read and your photos are nice to see. (My favorite rock music is mostly from the '60s and '70s.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Couldn't agree more ! The best part of it was the great music - almost every day something new (my hard drive is bursting at the seams with most of the hits of the 60's and early 70's). One of my daughters is also an avid classic rock collector and says she's a bit jealous of me for getting to hear it all first-hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sixties was a magical era I agree Cheri, The Beatles or if you were a bit edgier the Rolling Stones or The Animals haha! The clothes, hairstyles, makeup ..oh yeh good times for sure..Groovy!!

    ReplyDelete