Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Caregiving 101



This blog started out as a caregiving blog and I told our story from a caregiver’s viewpoint.  It has since evolved in to anything goes and as that happens you have a very eclectic group that reads my blog.  Some look at photos and some check in to see what is happening with my husband and me.  This post will be about my husband, Dennis so photo lookers….sorry!

As most know Dennis is a quadriplegic and to be specific he is a tetraplegic.   It has to do with where your injury level is and his is high.  C2  For the past year and a half we have dealt with Dennis having horrible stomach pain and we have scanned and x-rayed and ultra sounded to find nothing wrong.  But the pain is there and he has lost a lot of weight (it’s horrible when you weigh more than your husband)  Well, we finally went back to a Doctor we love and he thinks Dennis has SMP.
Sympathetic Maintained Pain.  This is what our Dr. Shields our internal medicine Dr thinks that Dennis has now.  We are trying things out to see if they help, and now Dennis has a prescribed patch that he puts on his stomach to help with pain and also some medication.  We will be trying this for 6 weeks and see if it gets the pain under control.  If it doesn't it’s round two and we will try something else.  Our internal medicine doctor is a saint.  Dr. Shields really cares about his patients and he has been known to call the house at 9:30 at night just to see how Dennis is doing.  Dennis and Dr Shields email each other and now they are going to Skype each other.  He is a true blessing and we know it is not a coincidence that he is in our lives.  We truly thank God daily that we have Dr. Shields in our lives cause this man is not giving up. 
It's a very hard thing to watch someone trying to enjoy life as best as we can, have to deal with this pain on top of everything else.  It's always one day at a time.  Much love, Cheri




10 comments:

  1. Prayers for you guys...and I know that Dr. Shields is a saint!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always my heart goes out to you both. Praying for an end to this extra pain on top of all that is involved for you both.

    On a lighter note, I am now heavier than my husband. I guess it is to do with men losing muscle as they age and women developing middle age spread!! I definitely do not eat more than him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sherry and Dennis! I can not imagine what you go through! I want you to know that even in those terribly hard moments of pain and seeing your husband suffer;if you let God give you his comfort, you will see his hand powerful toward you. I am praying for you every day; and I am sure I am not the only one. God bless you. I send you my love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cheri, let's hope the patch does it's thing and puts an end to this relentless pain. 6 weeks you say. Love and thoughts are with you both for a successful outcome.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for Dennis, and thankful for such a caring Dr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Shields sounds like one of God's angels on earth. Hopefully the patch provides relief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the patch is the answer. Dr Shields sounds like a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came here originally to see your photos, now that I know your story, I think of you both and say a quick prayer to our great God for healing and relief from pain for Dennis and strength as his caregiver for you. A good doctor is hard to find...so glad you have found one to help.
    (Cheri, the red plant you asked about is a sumac...beautiful in the fall)

    ReplyDelete