Saturday, January 26, 2013

caregiving 101

Sometimes we as caregivers have bad days.  We may or may not hit our patient in the head with the lift.  We may, and I'm not saying this happened,  accidently cut the skin when trimming the fingernails, and may also cut skin when cutting the wrap off a wound.  We may be talking and not realize the lift is as high as it will go and he has been dangling there alwhile . We may have gotten his trach caught on his shirt and it pulled a little. We may at some time or another forgot to deflate the cuff on the trach when we put the speaking valve in so the patient was not getting any air.  We may have given some wrong medicine at some times.  Now I am not saying that this has every happened at my house, I am just saying these things happen,so imagine our shock last week when we gave Dennis a bath and had to change the pacemakers wrapping.  We turned off the pacemaker and switched the pad then proceded to do wound care to both elboes and heel.  10 to 15 minutes later Dennis said he couldn't breathe.  We were shocked to learn that "we" ( the names have been deleted to protect) didn't turn the pacemaker back on!  At which point I told my husband it was all done on purpose to test his breathing ability and he passed with flying colors.  That's what good caregivers do, test their patients.  Much love, Cheri

5 comments:

  1. All's well that ends well they say. So much responsibility - you are angels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that I studied for that test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assure you he is glad he has you and not someone like me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was hilarious Cherry!! I am glad you find some humor in your life situations. It does good to the soul. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if I should laugh and cry here...sounds like you are able to do both...bless you.

    ReplyDelete