Monday, June 10, 2013

Closing of a chapter


I am trying to figure out when I became the adult.  When did I start having to watch my loved ones become older and struggle with everything?  It’s hard and it’s purely selfish on my part but, I don’t like chapters of my life closing, knowing that they are gone forever.  I have blogged about Dennis’s Grandma before; this is a picture of one of the kindest hearted ladies I have ever known.



She has lived across the street from us for 15 years and it has been a joy I will always be grateful to God for. I wish I hadn’t taken those short 15 years for granted and now they are coming to an end.  It’s time for Grandma to go to a facility where they will take good care of her and we won’t worry about her being alone.  She spent a lot of years taking care of people in retirement apartments so I am praying that God will send special people to care and look after her.  I do believe that God has a law called reaping and sowing and she should be reaping some very good caregivers.  When Grandma moved here she would take our ironing and do it every week.  She loved doing things for us.  She would bake bread and sew up ripped jeans.  She was an excellent seamstress.  She loves to talk about the “old” days and her family growing up in Honeywell, Ks and in Blackwell, Ok.  Her stories are so interesting and her memory of the old days is spot on, it’s just her short term that is having some problems.  She loves family and even her nieces and nephews travel to visit and stay with her.

She is 95 now and she is tired, her memory is getting a little confused and she knows she needs help.  She does not want to be a bother to anybody.  So a new chapter will start for her at the nursing home and a new chapter will start for us not having Grandma right across the street.  I am going to miss this view at Christmastime.
Much love, Cheri
 

 

5 comments:

  1. What a neat lady, have been slack in my visiting Martha. She always had interesting stories to tell and always had a positive outlook on life, even when it was hard for her to get around. She was always concerned about her family and wanted what was best for all.
    Thanks for your post

    ReplyDelete
  2. An awesome tribute to Dennis's grandma, Cheri, and I feel as you do about closing chapters. It is hard. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri, I read your post today with tears rolling down my cheeks. It is obvious that Martha is a very, very special lady. I will pray that all of the wonderful comforts and attention that she deserves will be delivered to her. Thank you for sharing.
    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog about your loved one. Our lives change.. I bet she will make the most of where ever she goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dennis's grandma is obviously deeply loved by you, Dennis and so many more people. I feel your sadness Cheri and yes sometimes new chapters aren't welcomed even though accepted.
    Much love
    Rose

    ReplyDelete