Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Valleys

Two weeks ago I thought my husband might die.  Now, I have thought this many times because it comes with the territory when your husband is a C2 quadraplegic on a diaphragmic pacemaker.  The neuropathy in his stomach and his breathing had gotten so bad he was begging for relief.  We have never had to have oxygen and now he is on the highest dial of oxygen we could get. He didn’t even have a voice because he could get enough air over his vocal cords to talk.  It was one of the lowest points, besides our little trip to the hospital in December, that I have had in a long time.  I thought maybe an outing would cheer him up so we got in the van and took out.  He breathing was so weak and bad that he couldn't even trip the mobile oxygen machine so I had to turn around and take him home.  He said go on on to Enid I will be fine so I did, but I knew he was disappointed and I cried all the way to Enid, moped around in some stores and came home. We had our devotions that night and I truly believe that when you are in the lowest valley, God gives you revelation and wisdom because you have to rely on Him since you have run out of options.  I got the vent down out of the closet and told Dennis we were going to do an hour vent session in the morning and a cough assist session at night.  Both machines open the lungs up and I was hoping for better breathing.  Then we had an appt with one of our doctors and Dennis is going to get scoped again to see if there is something else going on in the stomach.  We are praying there is because neuropathy is the worst and there is not a great cure for it.  The next day we saw a pain management doctor and he is trying different things for the pain.  He is breathing better and I can hear him great!  He has slept the last two nights without oxygen and we are doing little spurts in the day without oxygen.  While he was home one day he told his dad there had to be a way to do the oxygen without having to go through his nose. (it was raw).  So Dennis and his dad made a contraption that goes right in his trach and he can trip the mobile every time and his nose and ears get some relief!  We believe God gave him that wisdom also.  To everything we give Him the glory!  I talked to my daughter the other night on the phone and she said, “Mom, maybe we are getting out of this valley.”  I believe we are.  Much love, Cheri

Here are some of our spring photos!  We have had such a wet spring and it's been wonderful.  We have been in a two year drought so this moisture has helped.



6 comments:

  1. So, so sorry Cherie, you are an angel. Where would Dennis be without you. Prayers and love as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. Best wishes to Dennis, hopefully you'll climb out of this valley soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're continuing to climb out of that valley. We've also had a moist spring (the wettest I've ever seen here), which is a good thing given the ongoing drought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was lovely to hear from you Cheri . So sorry Dennis is having such a hard time, but I must say he is very lucky to be in such good hands, yours I mean. Isn't it wonderful to have rain after a very long dry spell, it's so love!y to see the garden come back to life again. Sending you lots of positive vibes from Perth xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Cheri and Dennis,
    May each day get easier and easier and easier. I feel so terribly honored to be ( albeit a tiny part) of this incredible journey that you and Dennis face each and every day together, united.
    With heartfelt love and admiration
    Rose
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen you post in a while - I hope everything's okay.

    ReplyDelete